Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Of Power and Roses

This weekend I discovered a few things: First, that my love for the sport of jousting keeps growing strongly, and I'm not sure it will stop any time soon. Second, that the Knights of Valour have not yet realized just how easily I blush and that no, it usually does not mean anything. Third, that I need to remember to look past the fronts people put up to protect themselves. Fourth, that I have stumbled upon a group of incredible group people and that I am very blessed and honored to know all of them.
*
For some reason on Saturday I could not shake off my nerves. And they weren't just normal nerves either. It felt like I had not jousted in ages, or been in front of a crowd in ages, despite it being only last week. But no matter how I tried to calm my nerves, they did not recede.  When it came time for me to joust, even though I was on one of the best jousting horses in the world (Paladin), I was so tense my body was bouncing all over the saddle pass after pass. Perhaps needless to say, I lost the joust that morning.

One of our young horses, Pictorian (sp?), made his jousting show debut later that day and did a fantastic job! I'm very proud of him.

So Sunday comes along and I joust Charlie (the heavy armor world champion) in the first show. That day felt much better and the crowds were much less of a deal for me. I never really expected to win unless there was a horse mishap or something, but I knew that I had to give it my all. But you see, I think of all sorts of things before the joust that completely float out of my head during the joust. Frustratingly, I need more aggression. I get so focused on trying to have decent technique that I forget to put extra force behind my lance. *sigh* It was a decent match, however. Charlie and I had a tip to tip and he unhorsed me on another pass. One pass after getting back on, my right arm armor completely fell off, lol. Did not want to let that stop me from jousting one more pass though. It was fun, even if less than satisfying. One of these days at the Ren fair I will feel like I had everything together, like I did my best. That day, win or lose, will be a very good day.

*Ahem* So I was delivered a flower that afternoon. It was a sweet gesture from some of my admirers apparently, wishing me well in my jousting endeavors. But I did not know who it was from at the time of delivery and was grilled as to who it was and not believed when I denied the knowledge, haha. Apparently my blushing indicated a hidden knowledge. I was sorry to break to the said accusers of just how easily I blush. Those of you who have known me longer know that sometimes I even just turn red randomly lol. Sorry to disappoint.

I cannot speak well enough of The Knights of Valour, The Knights of Mayhem, and all of the squires working for them. It still seems a little surreal that I can even call myself a part of them. Perhaps this euphoria will subside soon and settle into a comfortable rythym of dream following. And maybe I'll start to say less corny things. Doubtful.

~Off to the lyst!~

3 comments:

  1. Was it Praetorian? Or Pratorian? or perhaps Pretorian... I have no idea. Well done this weekend. Are you going to be jousting this coming weekend??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its pitorian....
    whatever. yeah he was awesome! cept for the whole "lets throw Charlie in the dirt" thing durring the first joust on Sunday.
    I say its karma ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Erin! Yep, I should be jousting this weekend. And I was so glad you were there at the birthday party! Never done one before, haha.

    lol. Hey, at least he waited until the joust was over to throw Charlie in the dirt.

    ReplyDelete